Businesses now can continuously remain in touch with customers without any human intervention. Customers also can seek help, make queries or ask about anything related to their online purchase or service requests just by using their voice or by typing the questions. Yes, the Chatbots really opened the barrage of interactive possibilities for businesses.
While Chatbots continue to be widespread across business websites of all niches, still there are few challenges of developing and implementing Chatbots for businesses. Here we are going to explain some of these challenges that need to be addressed for the Chatbots to make more impacts.
Make real value-additions for customers
The biggest and the primary challenge is to create a unique value proposition through Chatbot implementation. Does the Chatbot offer unique value in customer interaction? If not, it may not serve any purpose at all.
Some of the key considerations for any app development company in building value-driven Chatbots include the following.
- Does the Chatbot improve company’s communication with its customers?
- When replying to customer queries, does the Chatbot do equal or better than regular customer care?
- Does the investment behind the Chatbot really worth the value it offers?
Understanding the user intent
For any Chatbot, the biggest challenge is to understand the user intent and to decode the intent hidden inside the queries and messages. More intelligent a Chatbot is more capability it has for interpreting customer conversation and unveiling the intents. In fact, one of the key value propositions of modern Chatbots is this interpretation of the message. Naturally, chatbot development company now gives more priority to develop the flexible, proactive and intelligent algorithm that has excellent capability in interpreting messages.
As machines can only answer in a much predefined manner, when facing questions with different sentence structure, syntax and order of words, understanding and interpreting the intent behind the query can be very difficult for many Chatbots. The simple and most effective solution to this problem is to request the user for posting the query in simple terms so that it can be processed faster.
But what happens when the customer refuses to make the query using simple terms? Well, this is normally the case with many people. Modern Chatbot algorithms now are more intelligent to tackle this problem creatively. The modern Chatbots in such trying times for understanding a query will compare with the earlier queries of the same customer and compare them with various variants that can match the present context. Even by doing this, the Chatbot cannot interpret the question; it can at least ask the customers with four different options to help to get closer to the actual intent.
Building an affordable chatbot solution
Many small and medium enterprises simply skip Chatbots because of the higher cost factor. Chatbots in many corners of the globe are still considered a money-sucking feature utilized by mainly leading brands. But such a perception has almost taken a backseat now as many startups, and small stores are utilizing Chatbots for smart business communication. But still, Chatbots cost a considerable investment.
Here are some solutions to reduce the cost of developing and implementing Chatbots.
- Grab an out of the box ready to use Chatbot solution is the simple and least expensive way to build and implement Chatbots. Besides the cost advantage, you have to put up with the less scope of customization when using such solutions.
- Another low-cost method is to build a Chatbot using a simple drag and drop framework on a self-service platform. Just as you can build websites now utilizing a plethora of templates, Chatbots can be built in a modular way like this.
- The last and most expensive way is to hire an expert and let him build the entire Chatbot app right from the beginning and equip it with all custom attributes and elements that suit the specific audience the user contexts pertaining to that business.
Some Chatbots in websites look like spam and users with all strength try to avoid interacting with them. Well, this is why it is advisable to focus on the security features of the Chatbot besides other aspects. Here we mention a few effective rules to boost Chatbot security.
- Ensure using https protocol for your Chatbots to protect data.
- Just before you make the hot live for the public, ensure Beta-testing the Chatbot security.
- You also need to prevent the Chatbot from answering certain questions that are intended to access business-critical information of the company.
- Build trust and transparency by clearly showing how and where the Chatbot is using and storing user data.
Finally, when the Chatbot is out of the development lab, it needs to be tested prior to the implementation. Chatbot testing requires going through some complexities. As natural language processing (NLP) capability is increasingly getting better, Chatbots are now frequently updated. This is why the testing mechanism should always be used for every update to check the effects of each value addition.
Among the Chatbot testing methods, the first one focuses on automated testing through a variety of automation testing platforms like TestyourBot, Bot Testing, Zypnos, Dimon etc. These automation testing platforms can evaluate the test results and test script code across a variety of test cases.
The second testing method is the manual testing of conversational logic and such tests are generally carried out within a group of testers. These users check the bot across a variety of use cases and contexts and evaluate the results.
Building a more human chatbot
The last but not the least of all these challenges is building a Chatbot that makes an impression of human conversation to the user on the other end. The Chatbot must be culturally sensitive, responsive to personal gestures and greetings and should make people feel at ease when handling queries. A Chatbot also should have a personality that appeals to the target audience.
Chatbots will continue to become popular across business websites. But businesses addressing these challenges will enjoy more success with Chatbot implementation than others.
Paul Osborne is Chief Technology Officer at Cerdonis Technologies LLC, a leading mobile app development company in USA expert in iOS and Android platforms. During his spare time, he likes to read and share his knowledge on the latest innovations and trends which help web and mobile app developers.