The app of the popular sneaker store GOAT received a new update that allows you to try on sneakers through AR using your phone’s camera.
The feature, called AR Try-On, doesn’t let you try every sneaker available in the app. It’s only available via the home screen, and operates separate from sneaker browsing and shopping. It pulls up your phone’s app and lets you try on 12 specific sneakers. The sneaker collection available to try in AR includes:
- Dunk High SB Pro FLOM
- Dunk High Premium Deftones
- Air Force 1 High L/M ‘Stash’
- Air Force High Headauto ‘Head Automatica’
- Dunk High Le ‘wu-tang’
- Dunk High SB ‘Iron Maiden’
- Stash x Future x Air Force 1 Low ‘Inside/Out’
- Roc-A-Fella x Air Force 1 ‘The Black Album’
- Undefeated x Air Jordan 4 Retro
- Fragment Design x Air Jordan 3 Retro Sample
- Travis Scott x Air Jordan 4 Retro ‘Purple Suede’
- Air Yeezy ‘Glow in the Dark Tour’ Sample
I won’t pretend to be any kind of expert when it comes to sneakers, but according to Tatjana, UploadVR’s Sneaker Expert and Digital Marketing Manager, some of these shoes are quite rare. At the moment, the feature is clearly only intended for you to play around with some rare shoes in AR. It’s foreseeable that in the future GOAT might roll the feature out to the actual shoe listings in the store, where it would have a more practical use.
Although I wasn’t able to test it myself, Tatjana showed me some footage of the AR sneakers in action on her phone. The end result looks quite slick and is integrated quite well. The featured is powered by Wannaby, who previously launched their own standalone app with similar technology.
If you try on some sneakers in the GOAT app, let us know what you think in the comments below.