One of the best practices when deploying a chatbot, is making sure the user has a way out by offering the option to chat with a human agent. When that happens, it inherently means your user has experienced a chatbot that failed to help him.
That’s why I want you to consider an alternative approach:
“Chatbot as a concierge”
This type of chatbot does not want to prevent you from talking to a human agent. Instead its primary usecase is preparing a contact and making sure the user is transferred to a qualified human agent.
The chatbot’s goal is to capture the necessary information (type of contact, user profile, problem statement,…), so that it can route the chat contact to a human agent who has the skills to help. Typically this data is captured by using buttons. Only when the user is asked to phrase his/her problem/question, a free text field is advised.
- Fast & easy way to start using a chatbot (when you already offer chat as a contact channel).
- Higher chance that a user’s first experience with your chatbot is a good one. A solid foundation to build on, so that users are encouraged to come back to it.
- Capture valuable conversational data, by capturing the user’s exact written phrasing. Analysis on this data will allow your bot team to cluster expressions and define the relevant intents. This allows your chatbot to grow organically in functionality. When the confidence score is sufficiently high, the chatbot can try to answer questions while the contact preparation is ongoing (at the moment that the user entered it). If the chatbot manages to solve the issue, the contact with the human agent is avoided in a frictionless manner.
Thanks for telling me what’s wrong. For this problem I can advise you to <bot reply>…. If this does not solve your question, no worries, an agent will talk to you soon. If it did help, great!
- Create a botflow that prepares a chat contact for human agents, so that they can hit the ground running and minimise the talk/chat time.
- Conversation analysis by your bot team, aiming to define new intents and botflows.
- Gradually introduce bot replies in the contact preparation flow, when intents are recognised with a high confidence score => the number of chats that your chatbot can handle autonomously will increase steadily.