The charitable arm of Huobi Group (turnover exceeds US $3 trillion), Huobi Charity has joined Binance and other large cryptocurrency and blockchain companies in helping the global community fight COVID-19. Huobi will be making monetary contributions, donating medical supplies, and leveraging blockchain technology to aid healthcare organizations, hospitals, and front-line healthcare workers around the world.
“This pandemic is a global crisis that knows no borders. It affects everyone in every corner of the world, regardless of industry, socioeconomic status, or nationality,” said Ciara Sun, VP of Global Business at Huobi Group. “As a company that was built on the support of global communities who share our vision for a more equitable economy, we see this as our moment to give back and do our part.”
Huobi Charity is starting by working with the Indonesia-China Association of Economic, Social and Cultural Cooperation (ICAESCC) to provide assistance to Indonesia as the country experiences a significant shortage of medical resources amid a recent surge in coronavirus cases. As the world’s fourth most populous country and Southeast Asia’s largest economy, Indonesia is a crucial battleground in the fight to slow the pandemic.
In an effort to provide immediate relief, Huobi Charity is donating approximately $50,000 USD in Huobi Token (HT) to ICAESCC for the purchase and distribution of much-needed medical supplies to local hospitals.
Huobi Indonesia has also developed an online portal where companies and individuals can make donations in both fiat and crypto, as well as medical supplies and proper protective gear.
Beyond Indonesia, Huobi Charity is working on sourcing donations and supplies for similar initiatives to support other global COVID-19 hot zones like New York and currently in conversations with several hospital networks and universities in the city.
Sun added, “For the sake of the healthcare workers on the front lines and the millions of lives at risk, we need a concerted effort so we want to invite the broader blockchain and crypto communities to join us in our fight against COVID-19.”
Recent Donation Disclosure
Huobi Charity was first established in late January in response to the coronavirus epidemic that swept through Wuhan and other regions of China. In the midst of the outbreak, Huobi established its charitable arm and committed $1.4 million USD to source and donate medical supplies and protective gear to hospitals and healthcare workers in Wuhan and other affected areas. Ciara Sun was appointed to lead the efforts.
Despite a global medical supply shortage, a volunteer team of Huobi employees, Huobi Knights, and community members helped source medical supplies from over 90 domestic and international OEM suppliers. In total, Huobi Charity donated 1,000 oximeters, 2,000 infrared thermometers, 53,830 protective suits, 130,340 medical masks, 1.2 million pairs of medical gloves, 6,000 pairs of shoe covers, 15 tons of disinfection liquid, and 8 tons of medical alcohol directly to over 135 hospitals and community healthcare centers.
Although the launch of Huobi Charity and its recent donations were not publicly announced previously due to the urgency of the campaign, Huobi Charity is committed to operating in full transparency and maintains detailed records of all transactions, which can be made available upon request.
Established by Leon Li in 2013, the company’s Huobi Global exchange accumulative turnover exceeds US $3 trillion. Huobi proudly provides safe, secure, and convenient cryptocurrency trading and asset management services to millions of users in 170+ countries.
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 – April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal – April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum – March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic – March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application – March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering – March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture – March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology – March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? – March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government – March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work – March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million – March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations – March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network – March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion – March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel – March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs – March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games – March 26, 2020
- Microasset – The International Blockchain Monetary Reserve Announces $3.48 M In Reserve Funding, New Listing on BiKi Exchange – March 25, 2020
- Social Login – KyberSwap Integrates Torus to Offer Quick and Easy Ethereum Wallet Management – March 25, 2020
Also published on Medium.