Master students in Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies at the University of Malta have designed, built, and used decentralised blockchain app developed to vote for their student representatives.
According to the Times of Malta:
“At this time especially, given the current situation, it was important to have a remote voting mechanism in place that enables trust and transparency thanks to the Blockchain-based solution. The main challenge to achieve this is onboarding users in a trusted manner – and digital identity platforms such as that provided by Vodafone provide a solution”, said Joshua Ellul, director of the UM’s Centre for Distributed Ledger Technologies.
The voting dApp tapped into Vodafone’s Decentralised Digital Identity platform, which gives users stronger privacy as they retain full control of their personal data rather than a centralised authority.
Voters identities are kept anonymous and the system is transparent, verifiable and guaranteed in terms of the voting outcome.
The University of Malta team included:
- Joshua Ellul, director of the UM’s Centre for Distributed Ledger Technologies.
- Saviour Zammit, who chairs the Centre for Distributed Ledger Technologies
- Gordon Pace, a professor within the Department of Computer Science at the Faculty of ICT
- Shaun Azzopardi, who has completed his PhD within the Department of Computer Science
- And the Master students reading the Blockchain and DLT programme who helped test the platform.
The Masters in Blockchain and DLT at the University of Malta is multidisciplinary as it allows for students to gain a broad understanding of the various areas surrounding blockchain, cryptocurrencies, smart contracts, and other DLTs. It also allows students to dig deeper into their area of specialisation.
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 – April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal – April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum – March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic – March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application – March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering – March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture – March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology – March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? – March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government – March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work – March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million – March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations – March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network – March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion – March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel – March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs – March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games – March 26, 2020
- Microasset – The International Blockchain Monetary Reserve Announces $3.48 M In Reserve Funding, New Listing on BiKi Exchange – March 25, 2020
- Social Login – KyberSwap Integrates Torus to Offer Quick and Easy Ethereum Wallet Management – March 25, 2020
Also published on Medium.