Blockchain company Mateon Therapeutics (OTCQB:MATN) has delivered the requisite testing results to Golden Mountain Partners (GMP) confirming the applicability and potential use of OT-101 for the treatment of COVID-19.
Amit Shah, CFO of Mateon stated:
“I am excited about the potential use of OT-101 against COVID-19. I congratulate the Mateon team on achieving this important milestone and I look forward to working with GMP to bring this important therapeutic to fight against the current COVID-19 epidemic and future epidemics.”
Mateon claims that OT-101, a TGF-β antisense drug candidate, exhibited potent activity against both COVID-19 and SARS with a robust safety index of >500. This is in accordance with the Supplement Research and Services Agreement with GMP executed on March 23, 2020, and GMP has accepted the testing results. The mechanism of action (MOA) for OT-101 against COVID-19 includes 1) Inhibition of cellular binding, 2) Inhibition of viral replication and 3) Suppression of viral-induced pneumonia. Based on OT-101’s MOA, Mateon anticipates that OT-101 would also be useful for future viral epidemics.
During phase 2 clinical trials in pancreatic cancer, melanoma, and colorectal cancers (Study P001) and in high-grade gliomas (Study G004), meaningful clinical benefits were observed and OT-101 exhibited a favourable safety profile. These clinical benefits included long term survival and meaningful tumour reduction. Both partial and complete responses have been observed in the G004 Phase 2 clinical trial of OT-101 as a single agent in patients with aggressive brain tumours. The company’s self-immunization protocol (SIP©) is based on a novel and proprietary sequential treatment of cancers with OT-101 (antisense against TGF-β2) and chemotherapies. This sequential treatment strategy is aimed at achieving effective self-immunization against a patients’ own cancer, resulting in robust therapeutic immune response and consequently better control of cancer and improved survival. Prolonged states of being cancer-free have been observed in some patients with the most aggressive forms of cancer, raising a renewed hope for a potential cure. The use of OT-101 lifts the suppression of the patient’s immune cells around the cancer tissue, providing the foundation for effective initial priming, which is critical for a successful immune response. The subsequent chemotherapy results in the release of neoantigens that result in a robust boost of the immune response.
Mateon has also submitted a Pre-Investigational New Drug (Pre-IND) application package to the Food and Drug Administration to allow the referencing of OT-101’s oncology IND in order to streamline the IND submission for OT-101 against COVID-19 and is expecting to then complete the IND submission.
Mateon was created by the recent merger with Oncotelic (a developer of TGF-beta RNA therapeutics) and PoinTR (cluster computer vision empowered blockchain company) in order to create an immuno-oncology company dedicated to the development of first in class RNA therapeutics as well as small molecule drugs against cancer. Vuong Trieu, PhD and the founder and chairman of Oncotelic and now serves as Chairman of the Board of Mateon Therapeutic following the merger of Oncotelic and Mateon. Dr. Trieu team has been leading drug discovery, preclinical and clinical development, and commercialization for many successful drug programs over 25 years, including Abraxane®- the leading chemotherapeutic agent against pancreatic cancer, lung, melanoma, and breast cancer with annual revenue of >1B USD. The team led the preclinical and clinical pharmacology efforts in the development of Abraxane and was the co-inventor of the intellectual property covering Abraxane. The team also invented and developed Cynviloq as 2nd generation Abraxane. Cynviloq completed phase 1,2, and 3 in breast, lung, and ovarian cancers.
- Blockchain-Fueled Company Mateon Develops Phase 3 Clinical Drug Candidate, Against COVID-19 – OT-101 – April 6, 2020
- US Lawyers Go After Cryptocurrency Ecosystem with Multiple Class Action Suits Against Exchanges and Issuers – April 6, 2020
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 – April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal – April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum – March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic – March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application – March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering – March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture – March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology – March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? – March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government – March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work – March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million – March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations – March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network – March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion – March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel – March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs – March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games – March 26, 2020
Also published on Medium.