The nonprofit organization, Blockchain for Social Impact Coalition (BSIC), is launching a new event called Virtual Earth Day Event on April 22, 2020. BSIC, who is dedicated to advancing the implementation of blockchain-based initiatives to address social and environmental challenges aligned with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals will also use the event to announce the winners of its 6-week Decentralized Impact Incubator Program, which focused this year on climate challenges. The Incubator activated a global community of developers, entrepreneurs, humanitarians, and students, and supports them as they build social enterprises using innovative solutions to address some of the world’s most pressing issues.
Speaking on the launch, Vanessa Grellet, Executive Director at ConsenSys and President of the BSIC Board, commented:
“We made the decision to pivot our Earth Day 2020 event from an in-person event for people in New York City, to one that is 100% digital this year and available worldwide. It is our hope that our reimagined online event will give us the opportunity to enhance awareness of solutions to further the global attainment of science-based emissions targets.”
“During the 6 weeks leading up to Earth Day, participants from around the world have been working diligently to design applications, business models and advance technical production of their concepts. With the support of senior industry mentors, our teams have been mandated with addressing four climate-focused challenges – Mitigating Our Carbon Footprint, Designing Sustainable Cities, Peace & Prosperity, and Abating Pollution & Plastics. Coinciding with the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day on April 22nd, we are excited to be awarding grants to the winning projects to support the continued development of their concepts” said Yorke Rhodes III, Adjunct Professor at New York University, Co-Founder of Blockchain @Microsoft and BSIC Board member.
“The ESG agenda is front and centre in the minds of a growing number of global citizens. Blockchain technology, as one of the most advanced technological developments of this century, has the potential and indeed the obligation, to act as a tool to accelerate global climate remedial actions. The inherent transparency of DLT can bring to light the invisible climate costs of everyday consumer choices and affect more sustainable marketplaces. The BSIC Incubator has in past years attracted over 1,200 participants from 120 global locations, with many important applications developed along the way. I am particularly eager to see what solutions the teams will develop by harnessing blockchain technologies to support climate initiatives this year.” said Steven Haft, Head of Global Partnerships at ConsenSys and member of the founding team of student activists who established the inaugural Earth Day in 1970.
This event replaces the planned physical event in New York City, cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sponsors include Celo, Pepo, the Graph, City of Austin, ConsenSys, DappHero, Gitcoin, KPMG, Microsoft, and the United Nations Development Program.
Register on Eventbrite
- Global Virtual Earth Day Event Planned for April 22nd EST From The Blockchain for Social Impact Coalition – April 7, 2020
- ConsenSys’ Health Division Kicks Off STOP COVID-19 International Ethereum Hackathon – April 13, 2020 – April 7, 2020
- Bitfinex Cryptocurrency Exchange to Offer Staking Rewards Program – April 6, 2020
- European Commission Backed Blockchain Organisation INATBA Joins WEF COVID Action Platform to Address Global Challenges – April 6, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Company Mateon Develops Phase 3 Clinical Drug Candidate, Against COVID-19 – OT-101 – April 6, 2020
- US Lawyers Go After Cryptocurrency Ecosystem with Multiple Class Action Suits Against Exchanges and Issuers – April 6, 2020
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 – April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal – April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum – March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic – March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application – March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering – March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture – March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology – March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? – March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government – March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work – March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million – March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations – March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Interactive Streaming Network – March 27, 2020
Also published on Medium.